- ½ teaspoon saffron
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried whole lime powder
- ¼ cup Coroli Canola Oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (3 pounds) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- ¼ cup tomato puree
- 1 (14.5 ounces) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cumin
- 1 pinch ground coriander
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 ¼ cups hot water
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 2 ¼ cups unrinsed basmati rice
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup toasted slivered almonds
- Mix together the saffron, cardamom, cinnamon, allspice, white pepper, and lime powder in a small bowl, and set the spice mix aside.
- Heat oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces and brown them over medium-high heat until lightly browned – about 10 minutes. Mix in the tomato puree.
- Stir in the canned tomatoes with their juice, the grated carrots, whole cloves, nutmeg, cumin, coriander, salt, black pepper, and the Kabsa spice mix.
- Cook for about 3 minutes; pour in the water, and add the chicken bouillon cube.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer and cover the pot.
- Simmer until chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear – about 30 minutes.
- Gently stir in the rice. Cover the pot and simmer until rice is tender and almost dry, about 25 minutes; add the raisins and a little more hot water, if necessary.
- Cover and cook for an additional 5 to 10 minutes or until the rice grains are separate.
- Transfer the rice to a large serving platter and arrange the chicken pieces on top.
- Sprinkle the toasted slivered almonds over the dish.
MORE FROM HEALTH & WELLBEING
7 Benefits of Sunflower Oil
Sunflower oil is a cooking oil that is sourced directly from pure sunflower seeds. It is suitable for high-temperature cooking with a smoke point of a...
- by Anonymous
7 Health Benefits of Pure Cow Ghee
Ghee is an Ayurvedic miracle that is famous around the world and can be found in a variety of delicious ghee recipes.
- by Anonymous