With many fads and articles doing the rounds, many people wonder what is healthy eating?
Eating a diet which is hearty and healthy seems almost impossible.
Here are the 6 tips to eat a hearty and healthy diet each day for a better heart and overall health:
- Take atleast five servings of fruits and vegetables each day. This may boil down to 400- 500g/ day.
A serving of a fruit can be estimated as one average size banana, apple, orange or mango. Two tablespoons of cooked vegetables, or one big tomato would be a serving of vegetables.
- A good guidance on salt intake is to restrict it to less than one teaspoon (5 grams per day). Prepared foods (like frozen foods), fast foods, preserved foods (like pickles and salt fish), contain lot of salt. Try not to add additional salt to your food if you’re eating any of the above.
- Fibre protects against heart attacks and strokes. Sources include beans, lentils, peas, oats, fruits and vegetables.
- Eat atleast two servings of oily fish a week. Fish oils contain “good” fats called Omega 3 fatty acids such as EPA (eicosapentanoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) which is believed to prevent heart attacks and strokes by preventing blood clots. One serving of fish is about the size of pack of playing cards. Fish oil supplements could also be taken.
- Healthy eating is incomplete without a dose of workouts. Regular physical activity ensure that the calories consumed are burnt thereby ensuring an active and healthy lifestyle.
- Limit alcohol consumption- Avoiding alcohol consumption completely is not required but we should limit it to two drinks a day incase of men and to one drink a day incase of women. A drink is about 25ml whisky or 250ml bottle of beer or one 100 ml glass of wine.
MORE FROM HEALTH & WELLBEING
7 Benefits of Sunflower Oil
Sunflower oil is a cooking oil that is sourced directly from pure sunflower seeds. It is suitable for high-temperature cooking with a smoke point of a...
7 Health Benefits of Pure Cow Ghee
Ghee is an Ayurvedic miracle that is famous around the world and can be found in a variety of delicious ghee recipes.